Another lovely sunny day. Out on the moor by 8.30 and spent 2 hours starting on saddle tor over to hay tor round by the quarry then over to hound tor path and back round trying to find lower footpath. Went to Exeter at lunchtime via cardboard recycling and scored qp of Norwich surprise royal. Several starts and it was ropey in places but first surprise royal in hand for most of the band including me so still an achievement. Basked in the sun on the patio for a couple of hours when I got back then went for amble round parke. Amazing how the river has gone right down. Where Lorraine and I were paddling in wellies is now a vast beach. Suki enjoyed playing in the river again. In the evening grappled with setting up the old Dell latitude (s) I have acquired. Very time consuming. Got there eventually. Nothing on tv so read book and had early night - as did suki!
I drove down to Bovey on Sunday 13th - leaving after church and bellringing, and arriving about 3 pm. It was great to be there again and I relished the thought of a few days on my own doing my own thing. The house was absolutely boiling inside, with the radiators all pumping out heat, even though the thermostat was set at 10 degrees - which was the equivalent of the outside temperature that day. I couldn't make it click at any setting - although once I had turned the heating off for a while and then turned it on again in the evening it seemed to work ok for the rest of the week (typical). The first thing I did was to install the new bedside cabinets I had bought - they looked great. I even lined the drawers - and it was a good opportunity to sort the drawers out too. Then I put the new bedding on which Jayne had given me for my birthday in 2017! It was pretty and lovely and soft to the touch Suki loved the new bedding so much she wouldn't get up the ...
Itinerary Mike turned up at midnight and we were able to have a good night's sleep as the first tower in the morning, Crediton, was only about 40 minutes away. There was a good turnout - unusual for the first tower - and Mike had a good ring. I managed some Grandsire Cinques but declined any further ringing as my wrists were painful. The lunchtime pub was very good - Mike and I both paced ourselves with a baguette rather than a proper meal. Peter took Mike around for the rest of the afternoon while I went off to the station to pick up the two Helens (Mark's sister and Helen Taylor). We drove round together for the rest of the afternoon although I didn't go up to ring anywhere. Helen T did the navigating. The hotel was very good and we had an enjoyable formal dinner with a nice wine. Mike and I were part of the handbell band to ring three leads of Kent Royal in memory of those Rovers who had died in the year. We rang some handbells after ...
Went to st Stephens in the morning to hand over the web site and show him how to use the database. Met the new curate. Saw bob - his aunt Louise had died the previous evening. Had coffee with Anne. Took baguettes from forest bakery home for lunch. Mike ringing at Streatham in the evening so had the evening to myself with glass of wine and Lewis on the tv. Suki made herself comfortable in the back room!