End September-Jayne arrives in London

Mon 26th - decided to clear the admin pile today and then shred it all ready for the recycling collection tomorrow.  It took most of the day but I shifted the lot which was very satisfying.  Went early to Chiswick in the evening with Mike to ring handbells with Peter and Monica, with Sofie turning up at 7 for a half hour slot.  Simon has also expressed an interest in joining the handbell group so when Richard returns it will be quite crowded!  I suppose we will be able to have two groups on the go.  The practice was quite well attended - Ann Playfair was there on her annual visit.  My wrists were really painful but I managed to ring when needed.  We took the spinach and feta flatbreads from the market to eat.  Had a pint of lager in the pub but didn't really enjoy it - I don't know why.  I shall have to go back to beer now the weather is getting cooler.

Tues 27th - met Gill How for lunch at Bill's in Covent Garden (St Martin's Courtyard).  Had a great meal -  three courses for £14.95. Goat's cheese and caramelised onion bruschetta, dahl with aubergine, and finished off with treacle tart.  We drank non-alcoholic cocktails, but later in the afternoon I felt as if I had drank half a bottle of wine!  I left Gill at 2 and went to the Chiswick High Road for a hearing aids appointment at 3.30.  I was reasonably early so had a bit of a browse, drew out the money for Jayne (we had arranged for me to draw out the cash as this was easier than her having to make a special trip to Newton Abbott and give 3 days notice) and bought some stuff in Robert Dyas.  While at Specsavers I got the bent arm on my glasses fixed.  The audiologist made some adjustments to the hearing aids for me to try.  I got the bus back home as I was beginning to feel quite whacked, and when I got in I had a power nap - which did the trick and I felt a lot better afterwards.  I took Suki out for a walk and then spent the evening cross stitching and watching TV.

Wed 28th - went to see Keith.  Lovely day but he decided not to go for a hair cut as he wanted me to go to Sainsbury's.  This suited me well as I needed some muesli and other stuff myself.  I got everything he wanted and then went to the co-op in the village for another couple of things.  I got back just after Svetla had left and heated up the rest of the moroccan food for lunch.  Mike went out to the Tewin practice in the evening, and I did cross stitch and watched TV again.

Thurs 29th. Was up in the night again - made myself a cup of tea and read my book for a while. Managed to get up when Mike got up for work but I went back to bed again when he left. I went to sleep again for another hour and felt much better for it. Took Suki out for a walk for an hour then popped to Tesco and then had a good sort out of the linen cupboard. I couldn't believe how long it took to do - nearly all day.  Just before I was about to go out, a large cable fell down in the linen cupboard - it was the one from the electrics to the thermostat and had been clipped over the door. I tried to hammer in the cable clip without success, so left it dangling until tomorrow Went to ring handbells in the evening in Bermondsey with James Chris and Ian. We had another go at the Lincolnshire which was once again unsuccessful although we did manage to score a quarter peal of it.

Fri 30th. Was supposed to be going to Macmillan Cancer coffee morning but felt I didn't have the time so told Monica I wouldn't be going (as she was going to give me a lift). I fixed the cable in the linen cupboard with several cable ties, and then painted all the bare woodwork upstairs on the landing - the skirting board, doors and the stairs - with white emulsion. I also did the front door and a bit of the living room door before the paint in the pot ran out. I was very pleased with the results although Mike didn't notice them when he went out! It certainly looked better than bare wood and will make a good base for an eggshell topcoat when I have time. We had some lunch and then I went to Paddington to meet Jayne off the train. I left in plenty of time and of course had a hassle-free journey where buses and trains arrived as I turned up - so I was nearly an hour early.  Why does that only ever happen when you have plenty of time and not when you leave late!! I got some things from the Sainsbury local and then found myself a seat in front of the arrivals board to wait. It was lovely to see Jayne again. When we got in we had a cup of tea and then I took Suki for a walk. When I got back Jayne and I painted some of the matchpot colours onto the chimney breast so that we could decide which one to choose in the morning when they had dried. I didn't go to Barnes that night but stayed in with Jayne drinking wine and watching television and we had an early night. Mike miscalled a quarter peal of little Bob at Barnes, although it sounds as if it was needing a lot of attention so probably quite distracting.

Suki was very pleased to see Jayne too!


Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Jayne transforms our London residence