Barnes Summer Trip

18 to 22 July 2018 - Thornham Magna Suffolk



Write up and Photos

Lee and Emma stayed in the house for the week, with Elora, Lacey and dogs Neville and Beau.  They took Suki out and about visiting the sights of London as well as Richmond Park and Hyde Park.


Meanwhile Mike and I went off on the Barnes Ringers Summer Trip. Monica decided to take her own car, so we ended up giving Rod a lift which entailed going via Watford to pick him up.  We arrived at the first tower in good time and I went up to join in the general ringing with good intentions of doing this at all the general ringing.  However the first time I rang there was an incident and  I was left with the usual unsatisfactory feeling that I get on these outings, and decided it would be much better for my sanity and general well being if I didn't ring at all.  So I had a wonderful time sitting in churchyards cross stitching for the rest of the trip, and thoroughly enjoyed myself!  I particularly enjoyed visiting the textile exhibition in Bury St Edmunds cathedral while Mike was ringing a QP for the recent installation of Joe Hawes as Dean.

Mike and I were both at the White Horse again - which was much better organised this time. Peter was staying there too this time, so we were able to meet early each morning for an hour's handbells.  We practised Carlisle surprise minor although the QP eluded us, but we did score a  QP of 6xspliced (Cambridge 6) in the porch at Aldburgh where there was a lockout (and Eddie Heath drove his car into a ditch!).


I decided to eat in the pubs at lunch time but then skip the evening meal where possible, or just have a light bite.  This worked well from a diet point of view and also meant I didn't spend hours sitting in a pub in the evenings.  Mike and I shared a meal at the White Horse one evening which also worked well.  Peter and I demonstrated how not to do The Floss!



At the Saturday evening meal Mike and I shared a starter and dessert  - but still had too much main course to finish.  We should have shared one of those too.  In addition, he and Trisha were presented with a dressed crab from Caroline, because they had failed to get one all week,  which meant he had even more food to try and eat.  Everyone signed a thank you card for us and for Trisha and gave us a box of chocs!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Roving Ringers Reunion Weekend 21-22 Feb