Frenetic October

October was a very busy month - the first week was a social whirl! Walking with Maryanne on 1st, coffee with Muffie on 2nd, supper with Pru and Caroline on 3rd, handbells at Guys on 4th (another failed attempt at Lincolnshire) and a QP of Grandsire Triples at Barnes on 5th.  I managed to fit in Aerobics on the Thursday and Forever Fit on the Friday and then didn't manage another class for the rest of the month.  I was a bit worried about my foot in any event - I kept thinking my sore heel was getting better and then it would flare up again very painfully after a class, so it was just as well to give it a rest.

Mike was off early on Saturday 6th to the Bletchingly training day, so I was able to get off early to Devon for the week - Jayne's last week before going back to India.  Suki decided to go and sit in her cage - and shut the door behind her - which she has never done before, although she has always been very comfortable about going in and out of it.  No idea what was going on in her head!


We had a lovely, but somewhat busy week. Jayne was a bit frazzled from visiting Glastonbury the week before, so on Sunday I went out for a walk with Suki on my own and went up on to the moor.  It was a beautiful sunny day - and the moor was heaving with cars and people.  There was some sort of sponsored walk going on with marshalls at various key points, some with tables full of bottled water.  I went to the Saddle Tor car park and was lucky to get a space.  I walked up Saddle Tor and then went over to Holwell Tor to keep away from the crowds around Hay Tor.  It was such a lovely day I decided to explore the way down to Becka Brook and back along the public footpath.  I have tried to do this before and found myself struggling through boggy swamps.  The ground was nice and firm underfoot so it seemed a good idea to explore while the risk of swamps was somewhat reduced.  I started tracking from the top of Holwell Tor, so that if I did go astray I would be able to see where I had been and use it to navigate next time.  It was fairly easy getting down to the brook - and Suki enjoyed a paddle and a drink - but I am not sure I found the correct path back.  However it worked (with only one period of hopping between tufts on a boggy bit!!) and it made for a nice hour and a half walk without meeting too many people.

On Monday Jayne was back to normal and we went for a walk in Parke and then a mooch round the shops.  We got Mike a new puzzle board from Arnolds - and were delighted to find that Austin would deliver it round to the house later in the afternoon.  We had been wondering how we were going to carry it.

Tuesday was handbell day.  At lunchtime I rang a handbell QP of Plain Major with the Exeter band - and was very pleased with myself for making no mistakes.  Tim had for once circulated the composition, so I was able to put it into Abel and practice it - and it showed!  In the evening I went over to David Maynard's flat for a peal attempt of Cambridge Major with Lynn and Chris from Sheffield, who was in Exeter for 3 months working on the cathedral bells.  It fired out after about an hour.  After a cup of tea we rang 3 leads of Bristol with me on 3-4!  All that Bristol Minimus with Mike paying off at last!!

Later in the month, back in London, I rang a QP of Yorkshire with Steve's Southwark band - after a failed peal attempt.  Steve had asked me to join the band to replace Robert Sworder who had left London for the time being. Also a QP of Rutland Major at Guy's - we decided to give the Linconshire a rest for a while!

On Wednesday we met up with Jackie in the small car park on the moor - it was very misty and we could hardly see where we were going!  We had a lovely walk though and then went to House of Marbles for lunch (having dropped Suki of first).  I went straight off from there to pick up Ann and go to visit Jean, who was recovering from her hysterectomy.

On Thursday Lee and Emma came over with Elora.  Emma announced that she was pregnant again, and that Lacey was going back to Rhyll to live with her paternal grandmother.  Emma was a bit upset about Lacey's decision, and we all agreed that she didn't know what was best for her, but Jayne and I were also somewhat relieved that Emma could now concentrate on her own children without Lacey's influence making a mark.  Emma and I sat and talked all day - Elora was good as gold and even had a short nap on the sofa!  Lee did a fantastic job in the garden again - clearing the weeds etc.  He also painted the fence - but the rain washed the paint off in streaks and on to the tarmac which was a shame.


Friday and Saturday we kept free for just me and Jayne to do final bits and just relax together.  Jayne did her DVDs for the children in India and I cross stitched another panel of the baby afghan - Mickey Mouse. The weather was very bad - storm Callum - and so we decided not to use the car because of he high winds and heavy rain.  We walked round Parke from the house on both days, using two different routes and timing it to coincide with dry periods between the rainstorms.


On Friday we had a nice lunch in the cafe at Parke, and on Saturday we bought lots of cake from the Co-op!

On Sunday we drove back to London - leaving the house sparkling clean with everything washed, dried and put away.  All ready for the ringers to come in November.  We had a reasonable journey back other than when we met stationary traffic on the M4 just before Maidenhead.  Mike had got us a delicious mixed mezze from Lara for supper which we all enjoyed in the evening.

I got up at 4.30 am on Tues to take Jayne to Heathrow airport for her flight to India.  This time we knew where the scales were, and both her cases were under the allowance, so the whole process was a lot less fraught than last year.  There were no queues at the check in desk and before I knew it we had hugged and bid a tearful farewell and she was gone!  I thought I would go back to sleep when I got home but in the end I didn't and stayed awake all day, even walking up to Chiswick High Road to collect my contact lenses and order my second (free) pair of glasses.

I spent almost the whole of the rest of the week grappling with the membership database - which was thoroughly enjoyable as well as being time-consuming, frustrating and absorbing. I even resorted to getting the book out!  I set up a new tower form to comply with our GDPR policy but then when I exported it to rtf it didn't come out properly.  It became clear that I would need to produce the form direct from Access - which had been a long term aim anyway - but to do that I had to make some of the If statements work and this proved a big stumbling block.  I did however eventually crack it, although possibly in a somewhat convoluted manner, and it gave me a great sense of achievement as well as being really neat and effective.

On Thursday it was the CSWHA Reunion lunch.  I picked Joyce and Derek up and parked at Stamford Brook tube - which had a maximum stay of 4 hours.  This suited me well as Suki was home on her own, but it meant I had to drag Joyce away before dessert!  Perhaps not the best arrangement but Joyce didn't seem to mind.  The meal was excellent and very good value.  I didn't know many of them except from having seen them at the previous reunions, they were mostly before my time, but it was a lively gathering and I found a few common areas to join in the conversation.

I went home early from Barnes on the Friday to try and get all the tower forms printed - the colour cartridge had failed when I tried the printer earlier in the day and in the end I decided to cut my losses and put a new cartridge in because of the time pressure.  I was pleased that I had, since I managed to print everything off that evening.  I had one certificate to prepare, but I left that until the following morning when I was fresh.

On Saturday I took Suki early to Cranford, where the striking competition was to take place, and we had a nice walk in the sunshine before the draw at 2 pm.  I was really lucky in that we were drawn first.  Francis went wrong immediately, Mike forgot to say that's all between the two touches, and Sophie crashed the tenor in a lot, so it was fairly obvious we weren't going to be in the running.  I took Suki home straight after we had rung and was able to spend a couple of hours at home with her before I had to go back out to Hayes for the meeting.  I went straight home afterwards, while Mike stayed for the ringing.

The next day there was Choral Evensong at St Nick's - David was away and there was a stand-in conductor who was very good but a bit taken aback by the lack of skills in some areas of the choir!  There were only two sopranos, Ann and Ginny, because the pro had taken to her bed with a cold.  Luckily Roy was there which always makes it more enjoyable for me as I can get my notes from him.  There was a tiny bit where we split and I had to hold a line on my own.  The rehearsal was terrible and I thought it was going to be a complete fiasco, but somehow in the service it all came together.  Against my better judgement I was persuaded to go to the pub afterwards - which made it later than I would have liked when we got home.

On Monday 22nd I went walking with Maryanne - we did the Ibstone walk again from the Fox Country Inn to recce it before she led it for the Ramblers a couple of days later.  We were very lucky with the weather - blue skies and sunshine although also crisp and cold.  We both got there very early and had set off by 9.40 am.  It was a lovely walk (6.24 miles, 2:45 hrs) and we got the end of the walk right this time.


On 30 October I went on my first Ramblers walk with my local group, the West London.  I had seen a pop up walk on an email going from Paddington to Greenford (8.5 m) and thought it was something I could do with Suki, with plenty of places to drop out along the way if I or Suki were struggling with the distance, or if I just didn't like it!!

Suki was a bit nonplussed by the bus and tube journey and then all the hanging around at Paddington Station (we were about half an hour early) but she soon settled in once we got walking.

There were 10 of us on the walk - they hadn't had anyone come with a dog before and they seemed to be generally ok with Suki although got very anxious when other dogs were around.  There were the usual mix of people - those I instantly liked, those who were ok and a couple of oddballs!  But generally they were a good crowd of nice people. I  was even given a badge!  There was a short intro by the leader about the canal, and much plaque inspecting along the way!  They were certainly in no hurry.

We walked for about an hour (2.4 miles) and then stopped at a Sainsburys for a coffee break and toilets.  They all disappeared inside and I sat outside on a bench for the half hour.  When they came out one of them did say that perhaps they should have offered to get me a coffee!



We walked for another hour (same distance) and then had a pub lunch - happily dog friendly so I could sit in the warm this time.  I had taken a packed lunch so that I could be independent if necessary, but I decided to have a pub lunch to be more sociable.  It was the Grand Junction Arms in Acton Lane - I could have jumped on a bus to go home!


There was about another 4 miles to go to Greenford, but Suki and I dipped out at Alperton (2 miles, 40 mins)  - Suki was lagging behind and her walking was quite laboured, and my foot was by then quite sore. I knew that Alperton station was quite close - and we got the Piccadilly line, changed at Acton Town for the District, and even got the 272 bus back from Turnham Green Station we were both so tired.


We saw Kensal Rise cemetery from a distance, where quite a lot of famous people are buried - I got the impression there would have been a detour to go and visit it if it had been summer time but the shorter days meant there was not time.  It was interesting going over the North Circular on the aqueduct.


The tow path was concreted the whole way - which made it easy going but also meant that it was a well used cycle path!  We were constantly having to move to the side for cyclists - some of whom were going at great speed.  It was a somewhat cold blustery and dull day, and it wasn't the most scenic of routes!  It was also full of rubbish in places.  But it was very interesting to see where the canal goes and it was nice to have a flat easy walk to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Roving Ringers Reunion Weekend 21-22 Feb