Ringing Weekend in Devon

I got back home at 9.30 pm - and met Mike in the street returning from a QP and practice at Chelsea Old Church.  It was a quick turnaround the next day as we were heading to Devon for a ringing weekend organised by Mike. Claire, Bjorn, Louise Palmer and Dave were coming down to stay with us, and the bands were being made up by locals, including Bob (on Friday) and Peter (on Saturday and Sunday).

We travelled independently so that I could stay on for a few days afterwards.  Mike went to work and I unpacked, did all the washing, put the house in order and walked Suki before setting off - arriving about 3 pm.  I just had time to sort out the huge pile of post before Mike turned up at 5.30 pm which was a nice surprise.

It was a very successful weekend - they scored all the QPs that were attempted (7 on Friday, 5 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday).  There was a curry theme to the methods chosen so it was appropriate that we had a curry on Friday night in Bovey, which was very nice. On Saturday we had fish and chip/chinese supper at the house  - and everyone went to bed at 9.30 am as they were whacked!  There was a very relaxed start on Sunday morning as the service times at Bovey had been temporarily changed and ringing was at 10.30, although I got up early as usual to go to church.

Mike came back to the house after the ringing on Sunday and stayed the night, driving back to London while I stayed on until the end of the week.  I had a good week pottering around - quite hectic on the handbell front with a failed QP attempt of 3 spliced surprise royal, successful QP of 14 spliced plain major, successful peal of Cambridge Major and failed peal attempt of Cassiobury.

I had time to finish the cross stitch baby afghan I was doing for Leanne.


and open all the birthday presents which Jayne had left for me


Suki was still struggling with her leg - sometimes running around and wanting to chase a ball, and other times hardly able to walk.  She seemed quite reluctant to walk, although we did manage to get round a few of our favourite places, I just cut the circuits down and took them a lot more slowly than usual - and sometimes just did a circuit of the town.

Bovey war memorial on Remembrance Sunday

Parke in Autumn
Walking down from Yarner Wood on Trendlebeare Down

We went up on to the moor one afternoon - which was very atmospheric


My laptop gave up the ghost the first time I used it - which was a disaster as I had lots of handbells to practice on Abel.  Luckily there was an old one of Jayne's available, which I got going over the weekend, and Bob was able to let me have a copy of Abel to load on to it.  And then the microwave packed up the night before I was coming back to London - terrible timing as I would not be back to get an engineer out before January (assuming they would not be available in Christmas week).

I had lunch with Jay at The Smithy in Charlton Musgrave on the way back - the food was great this time.  We had not had a good experience last time so I am glad we gave it another try. I was quite tired when I got home and decided to give ringing a miss and have an early night.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Jayne transforms our London residence