Christmas 2018

We toyed with the idea of travelling down to Devon on Sunday night after handbells at the convent, but it was a dreadful night with heavy rain and we were both tired so we went the following morning.  A good decision as it was dry and light!  We didn't rush, but got away at 10.15 and arrived at 1.30.  Heavy traffic in places but no hold ups.  I managed to pack everything in the car, including the two new cabinets, but left the knitting machine for another day.

We unpacked the car and had some soup and crumpets for lunch, then I took Suki out for a walk (it was raining by then so too wet for Mike) and put up a few decorations, and the tree, and piled up the presents.  The family were soon exchanging tree/presents photos via WhatsApp.


LtoR: Ours, Carolyn and Lorraine's, Amanda's, Leanne's

We went to The Bell at 6.30 for an hour to meet up with Bob, Michelle, Barry and Ruth and then came back to watch Carols from Kings on the iPlayer before walking up to the church for midnight communion.  We had to take a wheel off to get the wheelchair past a motorised scooter chair which was parked at the bottom of the tower stairs!  There was a young person playing the organ who could just about play the hymn tunes, with occasional mistakes, which was a bit painful at times - and there was no outgoing voluntary which made the end a bit deflated.  However the sermon was given by an earnest young trendy junior minister in a Christmas jumper and was at least reasonably relevant and uplifting - I think I kept my attention on it throughout!  Only a couple of the carols had minor gender-neutral amendments so I managed to sing through them with gritted teeth.

Christmas Day went really well.  It was an early start to walk Suki before going off ringing at 8.15 am - I had my arm twisted to ring at Bickington before Bovey but was able to miss Lustleigh at they had enough (although that meant I missed seeing their impressive tree!)


I did the lunch preparation while Mike was at Lustleigh, and once he was home and everything was in the oven, we opened our presents - which were all really lovely and thoughtful.



Lunch was cooked to perfection at 1.30 pm (though I say so myself!) - Goose roast dinner and a bottle of Chateuneuf du Pape. I really appreciated having a dishwasher when we had finished (although we had to manage with no microwave which was kaput).  We left the Christmas pudding until after the Queen - but it still lit well once I had reheated it in the steamer.


The rest of the family also had a good day:


Although it was all a bit much for Suki


Mike started the traditional Christmas jigsaw - which he finished on Boxing Day although technically it was 27th as he didn't get to bed until 1.30 am!

Suki had a bad tummy in the night - probably all that goose and roast potatoes - so I had some clearing up to do on Boxing Day morning!  Mike went off to ring a peal at Bovey church, followed by a QP at Wobbly Bob's which completed the days of the year to QPs.  I took Suki for a long walk to Parke from the house - there were lots of other people also out walking so it was pretty crowded!  The weir was very full and the river was running very fast.


Once I had popped Suki back home I went over to Bob's to say hello to the peal band while they were having a light lunch and then went back to have a quiet afternoon and evening.  We had leftover goose roast dinner for supper - which was again very good.  It heated up beautifully in casserole dishes in the oven.

27th was a quiet day - quite cold but the sun struggled out during our walk round Stover in the morning and it gradually warmed up a bit.  Mike did some work and I caught up with blog and WinRk and prepared my household ledger database ready for 2019 - making some adjustments to streamline it now that I had been keeping the ledger for a year.

We rang handbells with Tim over the next 3 days scoring a peal of 41 minor straight off at the first attempt and a peal of Yorkshire Major including Andrew.  We had several attempts at Lincolnshire with Andrew inside but without success, and eventually scored a QP of Cambridge!

Early morning in Parke
All too soon it was time to go home.  We set off at 9.30 am and arrived at Horsington in good time for an 11.15 start.  Jay arrived only a few minutes later.  I was very relieved (in so many ways!) to find there is now a smart disabled friendly toilet in the church.  I took Suki on a lovely circular walk - if I hadn't got a bit off track in one place I would probably have made it back just as they were finishing.  As it was, I could see the ringers outside the church as I walked up the field behind the church, and presumed Mike could see me in my bright pink coat.  But no - as I approached I could see he was in the driver's seat of the car and just about to load his wheelchair! No idea if he would have gone off without me if  I hadn't shouted to get his attention!



We had a nice lunch at Charlton Musgrave (I had the garlic chicken again but no chips) and then I sat in the car with Suki for the next 2 quarters at Stoke Trister and Penselwood.  We got back on our way in good time at 4.30 pm and with no hold ups were home at 6.30 pm.  I unloaded the car and then took Mike off to Chiswick where he rang another QP.  I went home and got everything sorted out and put away.  The people across the road set off lots of huge loud fireworks in the road!  I was fairly sure it was illegal (and confirmed this the following day) and twice had the 101 number ready in my phone to ring the police - but didn't go through with it as I didn't want to fall out with them.  However when Monica turned up to return the beer I had lent her, I did mention that my dog was petrified and it seemed to stop soon after.  I walked up to Cotes for 9 pm and had a lovely meal with the QP ringers, Monica and Martin.  We ended up leaving at midnight, with all the fireworks going off and everyone wishing everyone else a happy new year.  I surprised myself at keeping going for so long - it was a very long day!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Roving Ringers Reunion Weekend 21-22 Feb