Walking in Devon - Intrepid Fortnight!

I went to Castle Drogo and did a 4.5 mile circular walk which turned out to be quite dramatic in places, starting with a high path along the side of the valley, then steep descent to Fingle bridge, then along by the river which included a very steep set of steps, and then long climb back up to the car park. Nearly 1000 ft of descent and ascent. It was a very hot day and Suki was grateful for the bit by the river in woods. There was a black adder on the path at one point - I kept Suki well away while I took a couple of pics.  It was curled up at first but then slithered away across the path and into the undergrowth.


It was a very enjoyable walk and I am glad I did it - just as well I didn't know what it was like until I had set off! I had a nice sandwich and cup of tea at the cafe afterwards - possible that dogs weren't allowed in the till area but by the time they saw her it was too late and I didn't see any notices.

The Route The official walk guide Route Card with elevation

Looking back across and down the valley
Looking along Hunter's Path towards the finish

The path from Fingle Bridge along the Forester's Path by the river including the very steep steps

Hunter's Path
I went to Haldon Obelisk and did a 3.5 mile circular walk around Mamhead bottom. It was another beautiful hot sunny day.


I was disappointed not to see the coffee van in the car park - so was delighted when I found him by the picnic benches at the end.  I had a lovely latte and millionaire shortbread - and took two salted caramel flapjacks back for Jayne and I to have later.

The other new walk was along by the River Dart from Newbridge near Holne - just under 2 miles.  I found it on the NT app but there were no signs of the NT when I got there and no facilities, just a layby for about 6 cars.  It was a nice walk but had to be linear - even the little circuit at the end I had planned turned out to be private so we turned round and walked back the way we had come.


Other than these we did our favourite walks - trying to stick to woods and rivers on the very hot days.  I did go up on the moor a few times - it is already very dry up there and the ponds are beginning to recede, leaving large swathes of deep clinging mud around the edges which of course Suki ploughs through in order to get to the water to cool off and have a drink. This was the colour of the water after I washed her legs when I got back because I couldn't get the mud off with a dry towel!


When we went to over to visit Emma we did the walk from Little Dartmouth - although cut it short because it was a very hot day and there is not much shade (just under 2 miles just under an hour).


I did another new circuit in Yarner Wood (just over 2 miles) which made a nice change and had gentler inclines with a short sharp ascent rather than the long trog on my usual route. It was just over 2 miles and nice and cool after the heat of the Little Dartmouth walk the day before.  There were 2 stream opportunities for Suki to paddle and have a drink too.


Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Jayne transforms our London residence

March Catch Up