The week before Christmas

Things got too frenetic to keep up with blog writing, so here we go with part 1 of a round up of life to the end of 2014.  I ended the week at Devon with handbells at Tracey House on Saturday afternoon.  We set up all the tables and got all the bells out and then discovered Jean had forgotten to bring the music!  So Charlotte drove her back to Moretonhampstead to get it and the residents had a cup of tea and mince pie.  We used the Alphington bells and music - the music being simpler so we could do it on the one rehearsal.  It went quite well - just a couple of restarts!

Went back home on the Sunday - Mike took Suki out in the afternoon while I sorted myself out.  Then it was off to the Albert Hall to sing Messiah.  I was sat next to Judy, which was nice, and we were moved down to the back row of the stage section which was a relief as I felt much more connected to the conductor and the performance as a whole.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spent the week finishing off Christmas cards and wrapping presents.  I produced a card in Publisher for the Kettering girls, and used it as an e-card to send to people I hadn't sent one in the post, together with my Christmas newsletter.  The card came out quite good in the end - after struggling for inspiration. On Tuesday went up to Kettering on the train first class and Beryl picked me up.  I was able to use the first class lounge to wait for the train in the warm with complimentary coffee which was very nice. There were only one other person in the first class carriage on the train so it was nice and quiet.  Pearl took us to Market Harborough and we had a lovely catch up although we were very disappointed to find that we were in the bistro because the restaurant wasn't open.  The food was tasty but tepid and we shall definitely be looking for somewhere else next year.  Tina didn't turn up and did not answer her phone.  Sheila had been trying to contact her since Saturday without success.  I got the train back - very crowded but I took my allotted seat and watched something on the iPlayer to blot the rest of humanity out.

By the end of the week had also dealt with all paperwork, scanning, shredding and email admin and was feeling completely up to date and ready for Christmas.  I had been to the dentist and hygienist (£200+ including new electric toothbrush), the vets (£300+ including 6 months supply of incurin and advocate) and stocked up on aquacell (£100+) - so feeling somewhat poorer by the end of the week. I had also bought a new flotation device for the upstairs loo, and a new shaver charger for the bathroom - and Mike fitted both before we went to Devon, although the loo leaks ever so slightly so a bit of tweaking will be needed in the New Year.  But it worked brilliantly and the loo now fills quickly and quietly.  The new charger fitted seamlessly into the box already on the wall - and that works well too.

Thursday evening was the Bell and Crown dinner and carols with the choir - I went on my own because Mike had a Cantanti rehearsal.  I enjoyed a really nice 3-course meal and took a taxi there and back so that I could drink - and so that I could leave at a sensible time!  The carols seemed to be appreciated and we only sang twice - once before and once after eating which worked well.

On Friday it was back to the Albert Hall to sing Messiah again.  The choir was 530 and I was right at the back - just 3 of us.  I still enjoyed it and it went very well with enthusiastic appreciation from the audience all the way through.

On Saturday it was Cantanti Christmas concert - luckily Mike had got Philip Austin and Rachel Cooper to fill in on handbells so I didn't need to ring, or go over for the rehearsal.  Monica picked me up and we had front row seats.  It was a bit highbrow under Stephen, especially compared to previous years- and there was a lot of discordant stuff which I didn't like.  The handbells were a mess and Mike was disappointed - but everyone seemed to enjoy them.


Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Roving Ringers Reunion Weekend 21-22 Feb