New Year Week

Tim came round again on Monday morning to see if we could score a QP of the London lot but again we failed, although we rang confidently and it is obviously eminently possible.  In the afternoon Mike went off on Bob's outing, navigating for Barry, and I took Suki out for a nice walk (after a catnap on the sofa!). It was very cold and icy. I collected Ruth at 6.30 and drove to the pub in Kentisbeare to meet up with the ringers for a meal.  I was not very impressed - the room was cold and the chips and veg were served in communal dishes which I don't like (I like my meal to come all on my plate).  The salad was missing from my plate too - but the fillet steak was very nice, tasty and tender.  The port and stilton sauce was delicious but a bit too rich.  Mike was cold and tired, and I persuaded him to leave after the main course and we got home at a reasonable time.

Suki finds sanctuary when
all the chairs are taken
The Hows were there when we got in (and the front door was open so I nearly ran Suki over but just heard her bark in time to realise she was on the drive).   They had been to the Cromwell to eat, so we had a glass of wine and then all went to bed.  They only stayed for 24 hours as they were having trouble with their car and wanted to get home before Gill drove up to the Wirral on Wednesday.  We still had time to go up on Hay Tor in the morning - it was a glorious day, cold and clear with lots of sunshine.  Martin had a new camera and took lots of photos.  Mike got up to the rocks and there were some climbers going up and down the main tor which gave him something to watch while Gill Suki and I went for a walk. Martin and Michael stayed with Mike.  Then after a bread and cheese lunch we went for a walk in Stover where Martin took more photos.  Simon stayed in the house the whole time apparently unwell.  We had a chinese takeaway in the evening and then they left and Lisa came round to ring handbells again.

Suki in her favourite spot -
 with the cushions just how she likes them
A proposed QP at Bickington on New Year's Eve was cancelled when Bob and Ann went down with the lurgy, so Peter came round and we rang his first QP in hand (Plain Bob Minor) with him on the trebles and me on 3-4.  Then we had a bit more practice with him on 3-4. Earlier I had collected Mary for coffee and then Stephen and Emma arrived and we all went for lunch at the Dolphin.  Again I was not that impressed with the menu and I think it must be the Sunday roast lunches that are so good.  Mary just had a jacket potato, of which she ate about half.  I had hunters chicken which was very good - but there was little else on the menu I fancied.  Stephen and Emma took Mary back in the afternoon while I walked Suki - another wallow in the plantation.  We watched the Sydney fireworks on my phone and went to bed early!

Thursday was home time - I decided not to put myself under pressure by trying to clean the whole house, hoover, make beds and do washing etc before leaving as we had to go by 9.30 am to get to Horsington for 11.30.  Mike took Suki for a short walk while I washed up and packed the car, and we were actually early setting off and got to Horsington just before 11.  We listened to Endurance on Audible all the way although it was sometimes difficult to hear on the phone and I realised I was going to bring the speakers back with me!  I went for a very muddy walk around Horsington while they were ringing a somewhat dire QP and then we all went for lunch at the pub - consisting of all day breakfast which was very nice but not quite substantial enough.  Then it was off to Wincanton for another QP.  I walked Suki around the high street and round the one-way system and then sat in the car.  We had a reasonable journey home from there and got home about 5.30 pm.

On Friday Mike went off ringing QPs at Merton and Colliers Wood and I went walking with Maryanne - Ley Hill six and a half miles.  It was a glorious day - blue sky and sunshine but very cold.  We had a lovely lunch in the pub at Ley Hill of goats cheese and veg wellington.

I finished off all the washing and ironing when I got in and had a quiet evening watching TV.  On Saturday I had a quiet day while Mike went off to help at a Middx S&W training event at Harefield.  I had to go and pick up Lorraine from the Citroen garage about midday because her car had broken down and she had been towed there.  I did church sitting on Sunday afternoon - very cold as boiler had broken in church.  I dropped Lorraine off at the gym and she came round to the church for a lift home afterwards.  Muffie and Pete came over for a couple of hours at 5.30 pm and we rang a QP of 4xspliced surprise major - my first on an inside pair (5-6).  Lorraine cooked a lovely veg curry and we had some for supper and watched an episode of Silent Witness I had recorded.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

The last three weeks of "old normal" Life