Devon - August bank holiday

I set off for Devon on Tuesday 23rd Aug about 10.15 and arrived at The Old Inn, Halton at 12.45 to meet up with Jay for lunch.  It has been done out since I was last there and is very nice and comfortable now - and the toilets are inside and no spiders!  We had lovely baguettes for lunch and had a good catch up.  I got to Bovey about 3.30 and Jayne was already home from work which was lovely.  We had a good chin wag and then both took suki out for a short walk round the hilll/bridleway loop.  We had a nice evening in watching tv with a bottle of wine and ham, salad and jacket potato for supper.  The next day we went for a walk together round Parke in the morning with Suki - it was incredibly muddy (regretted wearing sandals) and the river was very full as a result of all the rain they had had lately.  The weir was completely full - which is most unusual in summer.  We dropped Suki off at home and went to Trago Mills to get a few bits and pieces.  I got another pink shopping trolley to keep in Devon.  Then we went to the garden centre for coffee and lunch and I got 8 more jars of the hazlenut coffee which should keep me (and Jayne and Lorraine) going for a while, and also got a nice bone china mug with Jack Russells on it. In the afternoon I had a walk in the plantation with Suki - taking the precaution of wearing wellies this time which turned out to be essential.  We had another nice evening in with a pasta supper and watched the film The Duchess on the iPlayer through the chromecast.

On Thursday we went to Exmouth in the morning - although we were a bit later than intended leaving as there seemed to be a lot of distractions.  We got a 3-hour parking slot on the sea front and walked along the promenade and then up on to the cliffs. We had hoped to walk to Budleigh Salterton but when we got to the flat at the top of the cliffs the path was extremely muddy - and as it was an enclosed path it was difficult to avoid the worst patches. As we were both wearing sandals we decided to go back - and even so we were still out walking for the best part of an hour and a half. On the way back there was a man practicing the bagpipes - he was apparently cycling from lands end to John O`Groats but after 3 days his arms and hands had gone numb from gripping the handlebars. He was complaining that this had also made it very difficult for him to play the pipes as he couldn't move his fingers very well although it sounded great to us. I didn't think much to his chances of reaching Scotland if he had was having problems in Devon! We had some take away sausage and chips on the sea front when we got back to the car which were absolutely delicious - must have been the exercise and sea air! They were freshly cooked which helped. Then we finished with a scrumptious ice cream and were back at the car with 5 mins to spare. We then had a little drive to Budleigh, taking in Littleham and Devon Cliffs as we tried to find a coast road, and had a look round the sea front and Jayne showed me some potential walks that she knew.  We went to see Mary on the way back - she was fine and seemed on good form. She was collecting the tea things when we arrived - I thought I spotted her with a walking frame but it turned out to be the tea trolley.  Suki was quite tired after her day out so was quite well behaved.  We had another quiet night in - and went to bed at 9 to read.  I slept badly again - the same as the first night - and got up at 3 to make a cup of tea and read a bit more of my book (currently reading Race Against Time).  Of course I finally dropped off at 5 am and then found it difficult to get up at 6.45.  I wanted to leave at the same time as Jayne went off to work so that I could have a full day.

Jayne went in early to work on the Friday as there was extra to do, and Suki and I went to Parke and had a walk - I remembered to record my route this time on MapMyWalk and was interested to find that out along the top through the wood and back by the river came to 2 miles.  Again I wore wellies and was very glad I did.  I went in to town afterwards and went to the bank to try and kick start progress on Mary's erroneously closed ISA.  I am a bit concerned that Jay Faint, the account manager, has moved from Newton Abbot to Dawlish now.  Was promised a phone call the next day from his Newton Abbot manager, Nathan, by the lady I spoke to.  So a tiny bit of progress.  Did my ironing and then had a walk on the moor in the afternoon - very windy but pleasantly sunny. Managed in sandals but had to avoid a lot of mud and water and wellies would probably have been better.  In the evening Jayne and I picked up her friend Jackie in Liverton and then we all went to The Carpenters Arms in Ilsington for a meal.  It was a lovely pub - very friendly and clearly dog friendly too.  It was very full - but Jackie had booked us a table.  The food was lovely and we had a nice chatty evening.  I did the driving so stuck to half a lager shandy all night.  When we got in I had an ovaltine and took a nytol to try and ensure a good night's sleep.  My wrists were extremely painful from doing the ironing - I should have worn my supports to do it - and I was worried the pain would keep me awake, but I rubbed in some lavender oil and this did the trick (as well as smelling nice!).  A good night's sleep ensued!

Did lots of cross stitch on the Saturday - finished off the  Ponsettias and then did quite a few threads of the snow wolf.  Did eventually get a call from Nathan at the bank who said that he would speak to Jay on Tuesday and take it on himself to get things resolved.

Mike came down by train on Sunday 30th - he travelled all the way in the same carriage as Bob Mayo!  I walked along the platform to be opposite their carriage when the train stopped at Newton Abbot and was able to wave to Bob.  We went for a walk in Stover before going back to the house.  Jayne cooked us chicken casserole for supper and we spent the night in watching TV.


Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Jayne transforms our London residence