June - 12 Bell Finals - 34 degrees

Went over to see Gill and Martin at the beginning of the month.  The traffic was heavy and it took us nearly two hours to get there.  We had a lovely lunch of homemade pizza sitting out on the terrace.  Then we wandered in to Petersfield and had a coffee before heading off home again.

I rivalled Dial-a-Ride this month - transporting Monica, with her replacement knee and Mike, with his broken leg, to church and ringing!

Enjoyed a couple of Summer Sings with Goldsmiths Choral Union - Sea Symphony by Vaughan Williams, and Bach B Minor Mass. We realised afterwards that Mike had not sung in the concert when we did the Sea Symphony.  I enjoyed both evenings, especially the B Minor Mass, because I knew the music well.

Met Muffie for coffee in Richmond, and had an excellent supper at Cotes with Pru and Caroline.  Monica and I went to the Cantanti Concert and enjoyed it.  The new conductor engaged more with the audience - and patrons got a free glass of wine!

Walking

Went walking with Maryanne, Kath and Madeleine - another go at the Hambleden South walk.  I was a bit worried about Suki as she has been reluctant to walk lately and I thought it might be too much for her, but she thoroughly enjoyed it and I was so glad I took her. It was a 7-mile walk and my heel was complaining by the end, but it was very enjoyable and I had a lovely burger in the pub afterwards.  We still got one bit slightly wrong, so we planned another recce at the beginning of July. 


Devon

I went down for the week on Sunday 16th June - the new blinds had been fitted and they were beautiful.  Such an improvement on the old mouldy ones. Mike came down late on the Wednesday evening, having attended a rehearsal of the Bristol Choral Society on the way (we are off to Leipzig with them in July).  We were both official volunteers at the National 12-bell Finals at Exeter Cathedral on Saturday 22nd.  Mike did a couple of shifts selling souvenir glasses, and I did a shift on selling tea, coffee and cakes in the Chapter House.  It was nice to be involved (and to have an official polo shirt) and I enjoyed the day.  Adrian and Helen stayed with us on Friday and Saturday night.  Mike went off early with them on the morning of the finals while I took Suki for a walk.  Then Jayne and I went in using the park and ride.  We arrived in time for the draw - which the Bishop did from his mitre! We had a walk round the Bishop's Gardens, which had been made available for the event.  They were beautiful. Then we went for a nice coffee and sandwich before Jayne went back on the bus to look after Suki and I went off to do my shift.  I went straight back to the house after my shift and listened to the rest of the ringing on YouTube.  It was really exciting when Exeter won!  The following day Judy and Andy popped over in the morning, and then the 5 of us went out to lunch at The Dolphin.  Adrian and Helen went straight home afterwards but Mike stayed on for a couple of hours more before heading off.

I went back the following day - giving a lift to Jackie and her son James.  They came back with me and stayed overnight so that they could attend the open day at Imperial College the following day.

Handbells

A couple of failed peal attempts with Steve, but the Devon attempts were quite successful, even managing to ring a QP of Lincolnshire Royal on the evening of my arrival! I also scored a peal of Oxford TB Major with David and a QP of Spliced S Major with Tim, although the peal attempt of Cassiobury failed again.

Family

It was Harrison's 3rd birthday on 7th.


And he left Coletinas - starting big school in September


Aidan started nursery


Ollie had his sports day, a trip to Vauxhall City Farm, and fun in the pool at Carolyn's



It was blisteringly hot for most of the month getting up to 34 degrees - except of course when Lorraine went to a festival when there was torrential rain and she was knee deep in mud!


I met John at the Crem to remember family members passed away - laying flowers on behalf of all of us - and then we went and had a nice lunch at The Hare and Hounds.  We both polished off full roast lamb dinners plus sticky toffee pudding!  It was good to have a catch up just the two of us.


Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Jayne transforms our London residence

March Catch Up