Catch up!


Tuesday Mike was just the same.  He didn’t go to Choir and I came straight home afterwards.  When he threw up again on Wednesday decided to go to A&E.  Emma came and got Suki and we went to A&E at Hammersmith Hospital on the 272.  Got there at 5.  Mike had some X-rays and at 10 pm they admitted him to a ward to await a CT scan.  I went home then – having had nothing to eat or drink for 5 hours.  Grabbed a sandwich and a hot drink when I got in.  Mike was transferred to Charing Cross in the night and the next day had surgery for a suspected perforated duodenum. However when they opened him up they didn’t find one, nor anything which could account for him having liquid in the cavity.  So they cleaned him out and stitched him back up again and left him as nil by mouth until Sunday with tubes going in and drains coming out! 

 I went to visit every day for a few hours to try and cheer him up and also to give him updated computer each day.  At the weekend I went for an hour on Saturday at 2 pm and then went home and drove up to Droitwich for the Roving Ringers Reunion. I had a nice hotel room, and had a nice time at the dinner.  Helen and James were on our table, as were Sylvia and Lawrence, Gareth and Harriet and David Richards.  David and I shared a nice bottle of wine.  The meeting was good afterwards – tour is still up in the air as the original bunkhouse was too expensive.  Slept well and got up for a reasonably late breakfast to give those ringing at All Saints time to have theirs first.  When I got to the dining room I found that they were not doing hot breakfasts because there had been a massive flood in the kitchen.  In fact the early breakfasters had had to go back to their rooms to make tea but by the time I had got there the hotel had obtained water from another part of the hotel and were heating it up in saucepans or something.  They did provide bacon or sausage sandwiches.  I just had some fruit and yoghurt plus a small croissant.  Drove back home after breakfast and went in to see Mike again in the afternoon.  He was allowed to eat and drink but had not managed much of either.  I took him in a flask of tea as he did not like the hospital tea, but he couldn’t drink that either and said it tasted funny.  I tried it later and it did indeed taste disgusting – so much for my efforts at TLC!  On Monday I took Suki to Burnham Beeches for a walk in the morning.   I had agreed to go to Holy Trinity Clapham to help out with a QP of 2nds place Carlisle methods.  Had intended to go on Overground to Clapham Junction and then change to Clapham High Street, but when I got to platform I found a Southern train would go all the way to Balham, which was two stops on the tube from Clapham Common station, right by the church.  I had just missed a train so had to wait half an hour for the next one.  I got to the church at one minute past two – a good route which hadn’t even come up on TFL because it was a Southern train.  We failed to get the QP despite several goes, but did eventually ring a 720.  Went to see Mike in the evening having determined that Monica was back and so I wasn’t responsible for Chiswick practice.  I took him up a large cup of tea from Costa Coffee on ground floor.  He was tucking into his supper when I arrived, and drank the whole cup of tea afterwards.  He looked much better and was eating well.  I got him another cup of tea before I left and he drank that too. They discharged him on Tuesday – but instead of calling me to make arrangements to collect him he just got the bus home and appeared on the doorstep!  He seemed right as rain and full of energy – albeit with an impressive set of staples up his stomach.  We went to Choir in the evening and then to the pub as normal.  I took my little notebook and had a session with Sally in the pub about how the web site is updated.  On Wednesday I went up to Guy’s and attempted a peal of Cornwall with Caroline James and Katie.  Unfortunately it proved too tricky and we abandoned it eventually.  Mike stayed in having decided it would not be a good idea to go to Winchester with Hugo as planned!  On Thursday Mike went to work as usual and I went walking with Maryanne.  We did the Colne Valley circular walk I had done on my own a few weeks ago.  It was still very muddy and flooded in places, but at least we could get under the railway bridge this time.  We went for a pub lunch in Denham and were joined by Meryl which was nice.  I went up to Guy’s in the evening and rang a peal of Yorkshire on 5-6 with Robert Newton calling, and James and Caroline.  I was fine until I went back into the 5-6 position 4 leads from the end and went completely haywire when I dodged with myself in 5-6 but not at the lead end.  Luckily we survived it and I got back on the line and we scored the peal.  On Friday we had problems with the wi fi internet connection, just as I wanted to get Carolyn's ipad all set up.  I completely lost it with Mike.  I walked over to Patricia’s with Suki and spent the day there helping her with the form 400 for probate.  Had a nice lunch and then walked back around 4 pm by which time it was raining heavily.  I rather enjoyed the walk home as I was equipped with waterproofs so stayed dry.  In the evening we both went to St Michael & All Angels for the Hymn singing – Top 50.  Mike went earlier for the service at 6.  I arrived about 7.30 and sat on my own as I couldn’t see Mike to begin with, and when he did come up and say hello he chose to go back and sit with some other members of the Chiswick Choir rather than with me.  I had a jolly good sing for a couple of hours then left to got to Cotes for 9.15 which is when I had booked a table.  The hymn  singing went on later than expected and the others only got there at 10.15!  I amused myself by eating olives, reading my book, and drinking Kir Royale!  Had a lovely meal and a nice bottle of Fleurie. 

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Saturday 1 February

Roving Ringers Reunion Weekend 21-22 Feb