Roving Ringers 28th July - 4th August 2019

Itinerary

Sat 28th -  After a week of record breaking hot weather - it bucketed down with rain all day! Struggled with the bike rack - took my bike for Caleb to use. Kevin (neighbour) came running out to help me - probably when he heard me swearing!  Rovers were based at YHA Thurlby where we dropped Mike's stuff off before driving to Stamford.  Mike didn't have time for lunch - and cycled off to the start at All Saints from the car park.  Suki and I wandered round Stamford - with a foray into Burghley House which was just behind the car park - and found dog friendly cafe for latte until it was check in time at our accommodation The Little Barn at Carlby.


The owner was very welcoming and helpful.  I was surprised at how small it was, but it was lovely - very modern and comfortable and had everything I needed (except a rubbish bin!).  I soon had throws in place over the sofa and bed so that Suki could go wherever she wanted, and placed one of the doormats by the bed so that Suki could get a purchase on the floor for jumping onto the bed - the wooden floor proving too slippery for her! Pasta for supper. Watched TV all afternoon and evening

Sun 28th - Had a very relaxed start as I could hear the rain hammering down. Went out for a walk about 11 when there was a dry spell and did the recommended circuit from the cottage. Just over 2 miles. Memory Map tracking was playing up and didn't record when the phone was in my pocket (I had to reconstruct my walks when I got them on to my computer). Suki was very reluctant to walk and hung back a lot.  There was lots of mud in field which caked my boots, but it was a nice walk. Did lots of cross stitch in the afternoon as it rained again. Watched an old episode of Midsomer murders in the evening.


Mon 29th - A sunnier and drier day. Went to hostel at 8.15 and collected the chair. Drove to Sleaford and found a handy car park - thankfully as it was very busy. Bought nice iced sponge cakes from a stall. Walked round the site of Sleaford Castle - the only thing going for it on Google reviews was that it was good for dogs so it seemed a good place to head for.  Not much there except a lumpy field but made for a nice walk and I found footpath back to car to complete the circuit. Had a one of the nicest lattes ever in a cafe by church.  Once I had handed the chair over to Mike I went back to the cottage for more cross stitch. Discovered the complete box set of Jonathan Creek was available on the iPlayer so watched a couple of episodes. Went to dinner at the hostel - spag bol followed by cheesecake. They were able to give me a black bin bag for my rubbish.  Suki was spooked by the noise of spoons in bowls and sat outside in the rain for a while, eventually being persuaded in but just sat in the hall! I assisted with the drying up afterwards and eventually she came back into the kitchen when she deemed it safe.

Tues 30th - Got to hostel at 8.15 again and took chair to Surfleet. Parked by church and walked on Macmillan Way by the River Glen for a while. Watched a robotic lawn mower in action on the vast lawn of one of the posh residences on the other side of the river! Fascinating. Got back to the car to find mobile road surfacing operations going on around it. Moved it to the pub car park across the road.  Mike and Penny made good time and were 30 mins early. Went over to Holbeach to see Aunty Jean and Harry.  It was lovely to see her again and we spent a happy couple of hours catching up. More cross stitch and Jonathan Creek in the afternoon and more pasta and red wine for supper!


Wed 31st - Had a short walk round the block with Suki and then we went off to East Carlton Park to meet Beryl. Rain was forecast but luckily it held off. We had quite a long walk round despite Beryl walking with a stick. Cafe wouldn't let dogs inside and had unhelpful staff but provided excellent jacket potatoes with lashings of tuna and cheese. Got back to cottage and watched another Jonathan Creek before heading off to Whittlesey to pick up the chair. Got back 6 pm to find them fitting a new shower in the cottage! Mike rang to say his bike gears were not working and that he might need rescuing - so stayed off the wine until 8.30 pm in case I had to drive. The things I do for love!

Thurs 1 Aug - Suki only wanted to sleep this morning so I had a productive few hours on the cross stitch. We then went for a walk in Burghley House Park to see if it would be a suitable place to spend the day on Saturday.  It was not!  No woods, little shade and no accessible water - even though there was a large lake and river. It was all fenced off.  I went down to the ford as I saw a vehicle crossing it and assumed Suki would be able to get to the water there, only to find it was gated off.  Luckily the gates opened for a second vehicle, and I was able to stand between the gates to stop them closing while Suki went in to the water to cool off and have a drink, but it was not something I could repeat if we were there for the day.  Went over to get the chair from Peterborough - I did a lot of research online beforehand and found a car park right by the church. Mike texted me later to tell me they were in a dog friendly pub in Baston, so I went over to meet up with them and have a drink.  Mike was inside the pub sat in his bike!  I went for dinner at the hostel again - fajitas and cheesecake.  Suki was  a little more settled this time although still slunk out while we ate the cheesecake. Discovered Caleb had swapped bikes with Alison, and she had been involved in a collision with a car which had pulled out in front of her.  Bike was in a bike shop in Peterborough and they had declared it was not repairable.  However they had quoted a replacement value of £1400 for insurance purposes as it was a hand-built classic.


Fri 2 Aug - Picked the chair up in the morning after Mike had left which was a lot more relaxed - I don't know why I hadn't thought of doing that earlier in the week.  I took it over to Quadring - a very small quiet village - and we had a walk along a footpath for while.  Once Mike and Penny had turned up we went back to the cottage for more cross stitch and Jonathan Creek.  Went to Sutterton at the end of the day to pick the chair up again - and had a really hairy time crossing the A17.  Very busy and had to sit in a gap half way across the road. Luckily the route back from Sutterton took me another way.  I gave Anne a lift back to the hostel. Back at the cottage I finished up the veg with more pasta and did as much packing as possible before having an early night.

Sat 3 Aug - I walked Suki packed the car and was out of the cottage by 8 am and went to hostel. Just as I thought - I was asked to go and get my bike from bike shop.  I was apprehensive about having to drive into Peterborough to find a random bike shop but in the end it wasn't difficult as I feared as it was on an industrial site on the outskirts. I put it on the bike rack and went to Bourne woods which turned out to be an excellent place to spend the day.  There was a large car park with plenty of shade.  Suki and I had a walk - I had hoped to do a complete circuit but Suki was reluctant to walk so I did a shorter version.  Then I had a snooze and listened to my book - which is a pile of pooh but I was determined to finish it. Met up with the Rovers for lunch at a pub 2 miles away in Edenham. Then I went back to the woods for a couple of hours cross stitching before going to the last tower in Ryhall. Mike and Caleb cycled back to the hostel where I was waiting for them - by the time we had 3 people, a dog, a hand bike, all the bags and a wheelchair in, not to mention a bike on the rack, the car was groaning at the seams. Got home just after 7. Unpacked the car into the living room and shut the door on it. Had a clotted cream rice pudding for supper which was delicious (if rather high in calories!).

Mike ringing at Ryhall

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Newsletter 2018

Jayne transforms our London residence

March Catch Up